Sunday, June 13, 2010

Squares -> Process

I took the Process Pledge from
r0ssie.blogspot.com ----> see side bar.



I have lots and lots of fat quarters that
I have collected and decided that it's
time I used them up!

I like the look of scrappy quilts and
I love box quilts. So I decided to do
a Bento-like quilt.

And here's what I came up with:

I like it and think that it's pretty cool (even though
I know there is a couple of boo boos in it - shhh)

The inspiration for this quilt came from a
pattern that I bought at one of the local
Quilt Shops.


I love this pattern but didn't want to use the
technique. Someday I will....

So I drew out a pattern size that I wanted -
I wanted a child size quilt so I didn't want
my block too large - the overall quilt top
should be
about 40" x 40" .

(pretty professional huh?) (-:

Use all different colors and prints. I used
12 but you can chose how many you would
like - more or less depending on the look
you want.

Color A will be for the 6" x 6" block (cut 1)
Color B will be for the 2 1/2" x 6 (cut 2) and
the 2 1/2" x 10 "(cut 2)
Color C will be for the sashing.

Start with the center 6" x 6" block and add
the 2 1/2" x 6 to the top and bottom of
the block. The add the 2 1/2 x 10" sides.
I like to press my seams open because
if I'm hand quilting; it makes less bulk
for me to deal with.


Now that your block is finished; it's
time to cut it into four squares. The block
is now a 10" square. Take your ruler and
measure 5" and cut down the middle.
Then cut the two halves .




Now each block should measure 5" x 5".




As you can see this is my design wall for now.
Whatever works
Here's where you decide which pieces to
mix for your blocks.







At this point you can either use a sashing
or not.
I looked through my stash and found
about one yard of yellow that I liked.




I added the middle sashing first
Color C - 1 1/2" x 5" - once the two sides
were sewn together and pressed.






I added the center
Cut from Color C - 1 1/2" x 10 1/2"
and ironed my seams open.
Trim





And there you have one completed square!

For the sashing in between the rows; I
could have either cut and measure one long strip
or do it individually - like I did.



Cut 1 1/2 x 10 1/2" of Color C

I sewed all the top sashing on first

Then cut 1 1/2 x 11 1/2 " of Color C
Sewn to the "right" of the blocks

Note: I cut a little extra and then "square" it off.

This is what it looks like when
laid out on my design bed (-:



As you can see the left side and
the bottom is without a sashing.
I did the bottoms first
Cut 1 1/2 x 10 1/2" of Color C
Cut 1 1/2 x 11 1/2" of Color C
and sew on the left side of
each block and
"square" off.


Now hanging on my wall
A closer view

And so this was my process - Okay, Okay
- I should have been posting day by day
but I forgot! So I just did it in one day.

The quilt top took me a couple of days
to make.



 (Edited) -



Here is the finished Quilt!

******************
Here's another easy one that I started
last year

and just sewed the rows together last night.
This quilt top was made with some fat quarters
and left over fabric from other quilts.
Some of which I cut into strips and store
in shoe boxes.



Isn't that pretty!
This is the same pattern block as
I did on the previous quilt.....



.....The only difference is that you cut down
the center of each block and then
mix and match. Simple!

Again you can make it any size
that you wish.
Happy Quilting
Here's what's blooming



Red Hot Poker



Macro photo of Red Hot Poker

Tip: Make sure your feet are not in the photo

3 comments:

  1. They're both really nice, but the second one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa! I think it's my favorite also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great one girl.....I think I could handle this one...thanks for sharing the 'how to'!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Commenting on my blog