Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Dylon Dyes

We have had so much rain and when
it's not raining it's very windy. Not
good days for me to dye fabric.

Today is a good day and I'm taking
advantage of it!

I dye fabric on my deck and use lots of
drop cloths. Messy ain't it? But it's also
so much fun.

Today I tried Dylon Dye. I have wanted to
try this dye ever since reading about it on
Trish's blog Hand Dyed Fabric & Threads.

Normally I used SetaColor paints as
a dye because I'm intimidated by powdered
dyes. But I found the Dylon dye very easy
to use.

So today I tried "Burnt Orange" and here's
the results:

See that white piece of fabric in there? The package
said NOT suitable - Pure polyester but did I listen?
This polyester had a silk finish so I just wanted
to test it. As you can tell it didn't take the dye.

Hanging out to dry.

#2 is unbleached muslin - it absorbed more
of the dye - it's much darker
#3 is cotton broadcloth - much lighter
#1 - After #2 &3 was sitting in the dye bath
for one hour - in what was left I put #1 into it.

I like how it came out in different shades.
With one package I used 3 one quarter yards
of fabric. I have another piece one-eighth
of a yard that I experimented
with and was disappointed with the results.

Here's what I did:

I sewed the ends to make it a shibori and then
I folded the fabric and poured the dye on top.
(This was the left over dye)

You can't see where I sewed but you can see
somewhat of where I folded.

In case you're not familiar with what I mean by
Shibori - here's one that I did last year.

You can see where I stitched the fabric and
then pulled on the thread to bunch it up.
This was done with the SetaColor paints.

I don't know why it didn't work with the
If the weather holds out; I'll try to dye
more fabric this week with the other
colors that I bought.