Thursday, January 21, 2010


I had a lot of Heidi Grace's fabric left over
from my Training Wheels Quilt which
I'm in the process of hand quilting.
So, several weeks ago; I decided to make another
quilt from the left overs. I didn't realize that I had
bought so much of it!
At first I started with strips of fabric sewn together.
Then I decided to add the white; there was really no
rhyme or reason to how I was piecing it in the beginning.

I had all of the paneled strips sewn together on
the first piece; then I did a second one. I thought
that if I decided to do free motion quilting it would
be easier for me to handle.

I decided to copy the birds from the fabric and started
to hand draw them. I thought that it would look better
if I embroidered the beak, legs and tail ~ so that's
what I did. After finishing the hand applique; I
thought it needed something more. So I cut out
flowers and the kitty in the heart and I used
Steam-A-Seam2 (which I love) to bond them to
the fabric.
I decided to free motion flowers in a kind of crazy
meandering pattern. I like how it's progressing.
This is the second panel. I hadn't realized how much
time it takes to free motion. I only work on it for
one hour because then I start to get tired.

This is the second week that I'm working on the
free motion part of it; so I figured it should be done
by this weekend.

Then I have to decide how to add the borders, etc.
It's kind of a large Quilt As You Go and also
"make it up as you go" because I still haven't decided
what to do with the rest of it. (-: