Monday, March 30, 2009

Zig Zag Quilt

Since I first discovered blogs several months
ago; I have bookmarked those who have
tutorials or projects that I would love to do.

I found this Zigzag quilt over at "A Quilt
Is Nice" blogspot.
It's done with half square
triangles. So last week when Joanne's store
was having a sale on fat quarters; I went
and bought a bunch.



It's one of those quilts that is really prettier in person.
I love the colors and decided that a little black and
white would look good in it.

I went to my favorite fabric shop "Zooks" to buy
the black and white fabric and some yellow for the
back. They told me that black and white and yellow
are the "in" thing this year. I also met some ladies
that came from Virginia - just to buy fabric!




I then thought that I would quilt it on the machine
using a "half circle" design - it's a decorative stitch.
Well, that's when the problem arose of puckering
in the back! I pressed and went on; the result
was the quilt was a little distorted but thought
I could live with that. Next time I'll be on guard.


You can see the stitch here in the above photo. I used
variegated thread.
When I was at Joanne's store; I saw batting that was
iron on. Never tried that before and just might use
my 40 % off coupon to buy it. I would use it on a
small project just to see how it works. Thinking that
it would not cause the puckering.
I'm wondering if it puckered because of the circled
stitch? I normally hand quilt but decided to do
the machine quilting and get more experienced
at it.

I made this little lap sized quilt for my daughter's
niece (in-law) when she sleeps over at her
house.

3 comments:

  1. You know I am a hand quilter too. Every time I try to machine quilt I run into a similiar problem. I thought maybe my basting wasn't close enough. Would love to hear how the iron on batting does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt! I really love the fabrics and combinations you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a playful quilt that your niece will probably want to take home when she leaves.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Commenting on my blog