Friday, January 9, 2009

Rose Of Sharon


This is another one of my UFOs that I'm currently working on.
I started this about 4 years ago the pattern was in one of
the quilt magazines; I can't remember which one. Anyway,
I needed an applique pattern to join an applique group.
One of the criteria for joining is that you have to know
how to applique - this was not a teaching group. I had
gone to one applique class but I was still unsure of my
ability to work on my own. So I looked for the largest
pattern I could find - This block measures 17 x 17.

When I started this pattern I was using templates
but then I met a lady from this applique group
who was teaching a different method in one of our
local quilt shops. I stopped by the quilt shop
and looked at her samples - another Baltimore!
My first ever quilting class was a Baltimore (like)
Album! I almost quit that class twice but I being
a trooper hung in there and was one of the few
who actually finished it!

Getting back to my friend who was teaching this
yet another Baltimore Album class; she assured
me that the "new" way she was going to teach was
much easier than making templates. and it was!
She taught Jeana Kimball's technique which is that
you draw your pattern on the back of your block,
NOT the front.
Needless to say, I was hooked on the method and
never went back to templates.

This Rose of Sharon quilt is half and half. Half done
with templates, and half done the Jeana Kimball's
method. I have 8 blocks in all plus 8 very hugh
nine patch blocks! It's really a quilt with VERY
large blocks but I think of it as "My Happy Quilt"
It always makes me smile when I see it.



I am now in the process of free motioning the blocks. It's going
to be a Quilt As You Go. It will be much easier for me to do that.
This is what I have completed so far. I do not know what I'll be
doing with the white space. If you have any thoughts; I would love
to hear them. Thanks!

1 comment:

Thank you for Commenting on my blog