Monday, June 8, 2015

Spring Clean Up

I read somewhere that "A gardener's work is

never done"  How true that is!

Because the garden is always changing;

some plants multiply rapidly. They need

to be separated and replanted in another

part of the garden. This is a labor of

love and the gardens keep evolving every

year.




I started out with just one plant of

Solomon's seal and now have over 100

plants! 

It's the same with the Hostas and the

Sedum ground cover. 



There is a story behind this Sedum

ground cover - when my mom bought

her house in the early 80s in Queens,

N.Y.; her elderly neighbor had passed

away. The Sedum was overflowing from

her garden into my mom's yard, so I

took a couple of  hand fulls and 

planted them in my yard

on Long Island. When I moved here to

Lancaster; I took a large pot full of

them with me. Now my gardens are over

flowing with them! They also have to

be separated because as you can see

they will crowd any plant they are 

near, such as my Hostas.

One day when I was weeding; I found

an empty nest falling off of a bush

in the back yard.



I had to laugh when I saw the blue

ribbon. It's a boy! Or the bird 

thought that it's nest deserved a 

"Blue Ribbon"!  

Gardening is a lot of work but it's

a great source of joy!

I also find it to be an inspiration

when it comes to quilting and also

dyeing my fabrics.




This Shibori rainbow piece that I

did reminds me of all the colors

in my garden.




The colors in this pieces reminds me

of my Iris'. I love this color combo!

May your garden be your source of 

inspiration - Imagine and create

something beautiful!

Happy Quilting, Dyeing and Gardening!





2 comments:

  1. So true about gardens! I just spent some time last weekend going around planting sedum in several beds where I needed some ground cover. It came from my mother's beautiful gardens that she tends to so beautifully and lovingly. Looking forward to seeing it spread and grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes sedum is a great ground cover and should grow quickly. The photo that i have above - the sedum is about 3 years growth!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Commenting on my blog