Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Another Improv quilt

Lots of snow here in Lancaster this past week!


I had started a new Improv quilt awhile ago

and just recently finished.

Disguised Harmony




 I have strips, squares, rectangles and pieces of 
various fabrics. Some are from my hand dyes,
some are treasured pieces that I bought years
ago and some are new. There is also a touch
of batiks.

 What I enjoy most about making Improv quilts
 is the process itself.
There are no rules, no boundaries or measuring
pieces.
And best of all - you don't have to match seams!



There is no pattern to work from - It is intuitively
pieced  - You make the choices of fabric and 
shapes  as you go.

I cut on angles or just straight. On some pieces 

that are cut straight; I make just a slight curve 
while I'm sewing. It makes for an interesting effect.


To me, intuitively pieced quilts are playful and fun!
Anything goes!








I do like to color coordinate - otherwise it can look 
too harsh and busy on the eye. It has a certain 
amount of harmony

White or a lighter color fabric will also show off some

of the odd angles and also give the eye a resting place.



Improv quilts do not have to have angled seams
you can also add  straight cuts and circular.

The result is an abstract looking quilt
!


Don't have a lot of scraps?

Most of us quilters have remnants from other quilting projects.

Cut them into strips or large squares
.







I had a lot of left over cuts so I made this
Table Mat to match.

For both the quilt and the table mat I used
DMC threads for the Big stitch quilting.

I was inspired years ago by Nancy Crow  Gwen Marston
Freddy Moran
!

(These are for sale in my Etsy shop)

Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for Commenting on my blog